We’re excited to be working with you on getting PolicyPak working inside your environment.
To maximize your time and our team’s time, here’s precisely what to do in order to prepare for your phone call together. We can TRY to work without you taking these steps, but then everything is MUCH MUCH HARDER.
These steps ENSURE a “guaranteed win” and “maximum utilization” of our time instead of spending 45 of 60 minutes getting software downloaded and remote control to work.
Here’s the BASIC, BEST way we like to work:
- On YOUR machine, the one with the GPMC, we will remote control that machine.
- You will have ANOTHER test machine you can RDP into and see RESULTS.
In other words: Your GPMC machine and the “test machine” are TWO DIFFERENT machines.
There are FOUR PARTS to this letter, please read ALL PARTS… all the way thru to the end. Before our time together please have:
- All the items done as per these instructions on VMs or real machines up and ready to go,
- All software installed, and …
- Everyone on the call you need/want in the room and ready to go.
- (Optional if testing PolicyPak Cloud) You’ve verified you can LOG ON to PolicyPak Cloud.
If for some reason you still need to perform the above tasks when our Tech Lead calls, as you can understand, he’ll need to reschedule.
FINAL THOUGHTS: WE ARE PROMPT AND WILL CALL IN RIGHT ON TIME.
PLEASE BE PREPARED HAVING DONE THESE INSTRUCTIONS BELOW.
PART 1: ENABLING US TO REMOTE CONTROL YOUR GPMC MACHINE
We need to remote control YOUR MACHINE. The one with the GPMC on it.Here are the two options:
- Option 1 (Ours): Use the Ringcentral (Zoom-like) meeting found in the LOCATION field.
- Option 2 (Ours): We use Teamviewer. You must use OUR VERSION and not the “latest” which doesn’t work with our version. Go to http://www.PolicyPak.com/help then install and see it run.
- Option 3 (Yours): If you want to supply us with a Gotomeeting or something similar, that’s great. Email your PolicyPak Tech Lead with the details !
Part 2: PREPARING FOR POLICYPAK ON PREMISE
(BUT *ALSO* do steps 1-7 even if you’re *ONLY* interested in PolicyPak Cloud.)
- On YOUR computer, make sure you already have: the GPMC loaded. If you don’t already have this done, please watch this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsYkbLzVsM8.
- Use the PolicyPak Customer Portal (http://www.policypak.com/customerportal/) then “Download Everything except Advice.”Tip: If you cannot remember your password, you can reset it right on that page.
Tip: Note that inside the ZIP download, there is an ISO (the bits) and also a ZIP file (the Paks).
- Create a share on a SERVER. DO NOT just have these on YOUR MACHINE. We will use them several times during the quickstart.
- Take the stuff INSIDE the Bits ISO – and put it on the share. (Use any ISO reading program.).
- Take the stuff INSIDE the Pak ZIP – and put it on the share. (Use any unzipper.)
So: On your Server share, GET ORGANIZED and have:
All nicely shared under one share, and we can get to it from anywhere.
- Optional: If you want to save a little time, install the PolicyPak Admin Console.MSI from the BITS onto your GPMC machine.
- Creating an ENDPOINT to get PolicyPak CSE (Win7, Win8.1 or Win 10):If you plan to be LICENSED: Have a Win7, Win8.1 or Win10 example computer joined to the domain (for On-Prem)-or- domain-joined or NOT domain-joined if you are trialing PolicyPak Cloud.Optional: If you want to save a little time, install the LICENSE FILES you received. Watch this video for the steps.
If you plan to TRY WITHOUT A LICENSE: Have a Win7, Win8.1 or Win10 example computer joined to the domain (for On-Prem). Ensure that the computer is named COMPUTER1.
Tip: When a computer has COMPUTER in the name it pretends to be fully licensed for trial purposes.
PART 3: Do these steps for PolicyPak ON PREMISE -and- PolicyPak Cloud
- Remember that we will be using Teamviewer to remote control YOUR machine, the one with the GPMC. But then from YOUR machine, we need to remote control COMPUTER1 endpoint. You need to ensure that the EVERYONE grouphas the ability to REMOTE CONTROL your ENDPOINT using Remote Desktops. The default is that only Admins can remote control. Here is how to adjust it that: http://screencast.com/t/arnYvvhXt .
- Here is the software to have pre-installed.. (Even if you have OTHER stuff you want to do… Please, please install these packages):
- On your ENDPOINT, install WinZip 14.5 (Yes, WinZip14.5! ), Acrobat 10.1 and Firefox (latest is fine) . Get Winzip 14.5: http://www.winzip.com/downarc.html
- Get Acrobat X (10.1 specifically, not 11.0). http://www.oldversion.com/windows/acrobat-reader-10-1-4
- Get latest Firefox at http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/new/
- Get latest Chrome at https://www.google.com/chrome/browser/desktop/
- Get .Net Framework 4.0 or later. I suggest this offline installer download (again: Have it PRE-installed and ready to go: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=40779 ).
- If you plan to be LICENSED, move your ENDPOINT to one of your licensed locations. Remember: Unless you license the whole domain, it’s specific OUs which are licensed; and a computer for our tests needs to be in one of those OUs.
- If you plan to try UN-LICENSED, create the following OU structure in Active Directory.PolicyPak Test OU.
- PolicyPak Computers OU. (as sub OU)
- PolicyPak Users OU. (as sub OU)
Then move COMPUTER1 into PolicyPak Computers OU.
Then create TESTMAN1 (or whatever; this name doesn’t matter) and move him into PolicyPak Users OU.
- VERIFY AND TEST that from YOUR MACHINE (the one with the GPMC) you can Remote Control (MSTSC.EXE / RDP / some other way) into the endpoint (like COMPUTER1) as TESTMAN1 successfully and run Acrobat, WinZip and Firefox. Again: Run all three. It saves time later !
PART 4: PREPARING FOR POLICYPAK CLOUD (continued)
(So, continue here If you are ALSO trialing PolicyPak Cloud).
Tip: PolicyPak Cloud is NOT the PolicyPak Portal.
- The PolicyPak Portal is where you download the “Bits” and “Paks.”
- The PolicyPak Cloud is the service to manage machines over the Internet.
- You should have a WELCOME LETTER to the PolicyPak Cloud. If you cannot find your welcome letter, go to https://cloud.policypak.com/Account/ForgotPassword and request it. Then log on to https://cloud.policypak.com.
- VERIFY that you can log on to the PolicyPak Cloud. That’s it. Just make sure you can log on. Don’t DO anything.
- Make sure from YOUR MACHINE we can remote control the ENDPOINT which is the machine you’ll be managing using PolicyPak Cloud.
- IMPORTANT: About having a “real” or “not really real” domain:
- Even though the PP Cloud service requires no REAL on-prem Active Directory, it DOES require at least one “not really real” domain and domain controller. Why?
- Because you’ll use that DC to create directives, export them, and then upload those directives to PP Cloud. Said another way, you cannot create PolicyPak policies WITHOUT a “real” or “not really real” domain.
- If you have a REAL domain and can create real GPOs during our time together… GREAT. No need to do anything.
- If you have NO domain at all, you need one FIRST.
- Download and install Windows Server 2012 R2 180 day eval here: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/evaluate-windows-server-2012-r2 or Windows Server 2016 180 day eval here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/evaluate-windows-server-2016/
- Then be sure to run these steps to make your first domain controller in a new domain: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Yc74M35B58
- Tip: The domain controller name and domain name DO NOT MATTER.